Chapter Eight-

“NISHIKO!!!”
My eyes flicked open quickly. Where was I? I was in a bed. Lying down. With Amiboshi’s arm around me.
“Holy shit! You are so lucky I’m here! Get out of my bed now!!”
I looked to where the shouting was coming from and saw Jiyu standing, outraged beside the bed. Amiboshi ly next to me, shirtless. He had just woken up and he clutched his shirt to his bare chest in embarrassment.
“Jiyu!” I gasped, pulling up the straps on my dress, “what are you doing here?!”
Jiyu rolled his eyes, “This is my room! And I never gave you and your boyfriend permission to have sex in it!”
Amiboshi and I turned bright red, “Jiyu! We didn’t have sex!!”
Jiyu raised an eyebrow, “Come on, Nishiko. You two are asleep in my bed, half dressed, and I’m suppose to believe you two are still virgins?”
“It’s true!” and it was. Amiboshi and I hadn’t done anything that bad last night and we were still very much virgins.
“Look, I don’t care--”
“Jiyu!”
“Nishiko! Get out of my room!”
Amiboshi and I stumbled out of his bed, Amiboshi pulling his shirt back on. Jiyu gazed at Amiboshi, “You seem pretty cool, but if I find out you do anything to hurt my sister, I’ll--”
“Jiyu! Leave him alone!” I exclaimed, pulling Amiboshi away. Jiyu caught my arm, “This is the second time I’ve saved your ass. What would you have done if mom or dad had come down here?”
I paled at the thought.
He sighed, “Just get going.”
I nodded and Amiboshi and I climbed out the window. I peeked in, “Just tell mom and dad I’m at Akai’s, ‘kay?”
He nodded gruffly and I got up off the ground and turned to Amiboshi. He smiled at me, then gently, almost hesitantly pulled me to him and kissed me softly on the lips. Memories of last night floated back, and I kissed him in return. We began off to Akai’s, holding hands. I don’t think I could have been happier.
As we were walking, I suddenly noticed we were in our prom clothes still. Damn, they were wrinkled! I stopped and gazed at our clothes, “Oh crap,” I muttered, struggling to smooth out my dress, “we’re going to walk into Akai’s house in the clothes we wore yesterday, and they’re both very wrinkled. This is not going to look good.”
Amiboshi blushed a little, “But we didn’t...”
“I know,” I said, but in this day and age, it’s extemely hard to prove you’re a virgin, especially showing up in yesterday’s wrinkled clothes.”
He shrugged, “What can we do?”
I glanced up at my room window, “There’s no way I can get into my room without my parents seeing me, and they might wonder why I’m still in my prom dress.”
He bit his lip, “Guess we’ve got to go to Akai’s and change there.”
I cringed at the thought of showing up at Akai’s like this, but he was right, and we had no other options.
We walked the whole way there, holding hands, and talking about various stuff. When we got to Akai’s, I catiously peeked in the door. No Akai. No Tasuki. I silently ushered Amiboshi in and was about to make my way for Akai’s room when Amiboshi caught my arm. “Nishiko,” he whispered, pulling me downstairs, “look.”
I looked into the guest bedroom to see Akai and Tasuki asleep. Together. She had her arms around him and he was nestled up next to her. I smiled. Aww, how sweet...and bad! Of course, I considered, Jiyu had found us (Amiboshi and I) in basically the same situation. I smiled at this. Finally, they were together.
Suddenly, Akai’s eyes began to flutter open. I bit back a smile as she looked over at us, “N-Nishiko.”
“Akai,” I replied back, smirking and crossing my arms over my chest as I leaned against the wall.
She squinted at me, “You’re still in your prom clothes...and they’re all rumpled,” she seemed to process this and I felt my face begin to get hot. In the haste of being happy for her and Tasuki, I’d forgotten about the clothes. Akai clapped her hands together in delight, “oh, I’m so happy for you!” Tasuki made a grumpy noise at being disturbed and Akai glanced at him, “let’s go upstairs so we won’t wake him up.”
“I’m changing,” I said quickly, hurrying up the stairs to Akai’s room, “then we got some discussing to do, missy!”
“Me? I wouldn’t be talking,” she scoffed, “I’ve got an excuse. And it’s clean too.”
I turned to glare at her and opened my mouth to comeback, but turned, “After I change,” and shut Akai’s door behind me, leaving Amiboshi to fend for himself.
I found a pair of jeans of Akai’s and a shirt I’d left there before and changed as quickly as I could, knowing that leaving Amiboshi alone with Akai for too long could be dangerous.
I came out and came down the stairs to face Akai. I brought an accusing finger up, ready to defend Amiboshi and I, but realized I had nothing. I stood, stuck for a moment, and Amiboshi piped up behind me, “Nothing happened.”
Akai looked at him and burst out laughing, “Oh, that’s a good one! You’re a good liar, Ami-chan1 .”
I narrowed my eyes, “Shut up, Akai! I wouldn’t think you had any reason to talk! We found you in the same bed with Tasuki with your arms around each other.”
“Yeah, but I had a good reason,” she said, “give me a good reason for you showing up in last nights clothes and I’ll leave you alone.”
I glared at her, blushing. What do you say when you haven’t done anything, but you’re not totally innocent either.
Luckily, Amiboshi came to my rescue, “It’s really none of your business, Akai,” he told her softly, “although I will tell you we didn’t...” he seemed to blush at the very thought of it.
“But you’re together, aren’t you?” she asked seriously.
I looked down at the floor, flushed. Now that I thought about it, we were. The thought made me smile a bit and I glanced at Amiboshi, who smiled shyly at me.
“I guess,” I said softly, still looking at my feet.
“Good,” she smiled, “then I don’t have to yell at you for having a majiwaru marathom without telling me.”
“Akai!” I exploded, “we didn’t have sex!”
She shrugged, “Sure, Nishiko, whatever you say.
“What’s going on?” came a sleepy voice from behind us. We turned to see Tasuki, still tired and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

Akai smiled at him, “Good morning. Nishiko and Amiboshi had sex.”
My eyes grew to the size of saucers and I smacked Akai roughly on the arm, “Akai!”
Tasuki raised an eyebrow at Amiboshi, “I thoughtcha were too proper ta touch a girl.”
Amiboshi flushed, “I...”
“I guess we underestimated him, right, Ami-chan?” Akai nudged Amiboshi suggestively.
“Nishiko, I thoughtcha hated guys,” Tasuki spoke up.
“Yeah, the ones like you,” I snapped.
“Ouch,” he grinned crookedly at me, “are ya always this grumpy after sex?”
I hit him this time, “Amiboshi, just get changed. We’ll leave then.”
“Oh why?” Akai asked, “hang around a while.”
I snorted, “Sure, you expect us to stay when we’re being treated so badly?”
“Oh, you know we’re just joking. I think it’s great that you two are finally together,” Akai smiled.
“Yeah,” Tasuki agreed, “’bout damn time. Now maybe I won’t hafta see Amiboshi moping around because ‘Nishiko doesn’t like him.’”
Amiboshi blushed, looking at the floor as I turned my gaze to him. He shyly went off to change. It struck me as odd. Amiboshi had been sad because he thought I hadn’t liked him? How weird was that? I’d been thinking the exact same thing!
I smiled softly. Finally, everything was perfect. It felt more wonderful than I could describe to know Amiboshi felt the same way about me. I was so happy I could just float up to Cloud Nine. For once in my life, everything was going right.
“So,” Akai said, “what’s it like being together with the guy of your dreams?”
I sighed happily and sank down to the floor, leaning against the door, “Wonderful. Better than wondeful. I wasn’t even this happy with Akio.”
“Lucky. I’m so jealous of you,” Akai said, watching Tasuki wander out of the room.
I cocked an eyebrow, “Why? You slept with him last night.”
Her eyes grew huge, “Slept with him?! I did not!”
I rolled my eyes, “You sick-minded girl, you. I meant actually ‘slept.’”
She seemed to relax a little, “Well, yeah, but that doesn’t mean anything.”
I cocked an eyebrow again, saying flattly, “Intrigue me.”
“It doesn’t mean anything. We’re not together. I...um...slept with him because...” she waved her arms, “it’s hard to explain. He’s homesick.”
I furrowed my brow sympathetically, “Awww, no. Poor Tasuki,” I sighed, disheartened suddenly, “what are we going to do?”
“I don’t know,” she sighed, “but Nishi-chan...he looked so unhappy. I sat with him for awhile, and when he went to bed, he asked me to...stay. I think he really misses them.”
I sighed also, “No doubt.But, Akai,” I lowered my voice, glancing around, “we don’t know how to send them back.”
She nodded, “I promised him he’d be home soon but...I don’t know how I can keep my promise now.”
I shook my head, but Amiboshi suddenly came back into the room in casual clothes. Seeing our unhappy faces, he froze and stepped back, “Did I come in at a bad time?”
Akai forced a smile, “No, we were just talking about Tasuki-kun.”
He nodded, coming up the stairs further and turning to me, “Nishiko, can I talk to you a moment?”
I nodded and we went into the living room, leaving Akai to follow Tasuki.
I was nervous. What if he was going to say that last night hadn’t meant anything, or that he’d changed his mind, and he wanted to just be friends?
I felt him touch my arm and I turned. He pulled me down onto the couch nect to him, saying, “Sit.” I let out a nervous laugh and he did also. I rubbed my arm, “What is it?”
He was silent, then said, “Nishiko, are you sure about this?”
Oh God, it was happening. Another rejection. Another ‘I just like you as a friend.’ My heart felt crushed and I avoided his eyes. Instead of answering, I played dumb, “Sure about what?”
He stared at me, then looked down, “Well...about...what happened between us.”
My heart felt even more crushed and I knew if he said more I’d be brought to tears. I was so dumb. I was dumb again, letting a guy know how I felt, through my actions this time, and now I was going to be hurt again.
“Nishiko?”
I lowered my eyes, “Amiboshi, you’re making this harder for me...”
He was silent, staring at me. I couldn’t look at him. Suddenly, he got to his feet. “I understand,” he said in an almost choked voice. He began to leave, leaving me confused as all hell, but I whirled around on the couch and exclaimed, “Understand what?”
He didn’t turn to face me, and had his head lowered, “I won’t make it harder for you to...to dump me.”
I nearly choked. “Dump you?!” I exclaimed, “of course not! I thought you were going to dump me!”
He whirled around to stare at me, “What?”
I suddenly got it. We both thought we were going to dump each other! I laughed suddenly and stood, “What a misunderstanding! I thought you were planning to dump me and you thought I was planning to dump you.”
“So...you’re not planning to dump me?” he asked unsurely.
I shook my head, approaching him and smiling, “No. I could never even think of it. But...to be dumped...” I bit my lip, smiling a little more, “...wouldn’t we have to be together?”
He suddenly got what I was getting at and smiled, coming to me. He slipped his arms around my waist and pulled me to him for a gentle, slow kiss. His lips were so warm and soft against my own. He hugged me then, grazing my cheek lightly with his lips, and I held him back. We stood, embracing each other for a while, before I let go and smiled, “I’d better iron out prom clothes. We still have to return your tux.” I looked to Akai’s room and hollered, “Akai! Do you have an iron?”
I heard her shout something at Tasuki, who came running out of her room, followed by a flying pillow. After that, Akai shouted, “Downstairs!”
I looked at Tasuki and sighed, “What’d you do now?”
He narrowed his eyes, “Nothin’! It was her own fault! Jeez, ya women always stick tagether and then go fer the throat!”
I smiled, moving away from Amiboshi to go downstairs and saying in a sarcastic tone, “Of course. We need to protect ourselves from big, bad, dangerous men like you.”
I smirked at him, and he stared at me, then smiled self assuredly, obviously not picking up on my sarcasm, “Damn right. We bandits are pretty dangerous.”
I stopped and stood my ground in front of him, proving to be almost a whole foot shorter than him. None the less, I sneered, “You don’t scare me. I could take you down if I wanted to,” I began to walk away, calling over my shoulder, “but I’m a pacifest.”
I went downstairs and began to rummage through things till I found the ironing board and iron, and stopped in the guest room to grab Amiboshi’s suit. I came back up the stairs, nearly tripping and dropping everything, especially the heavy ironing board.
Akai looked up, “Need some help?”
I shook my head and waddled past her and Tasuki to the family room, where I set everything down and began to unfold the board. I plugged the iron in to heat up and turned to the others.
Tasuki crossed his arms across his broad chest and leaned against the wall casually, “So, how ya gonna get us home?”
I froze, then looked at Akai expectantly. I had no answer and I sure as hell wasn’t gonna be the one to tell him we didn’t know how.
Akai looked around nervously, then said quietly, “Well, um, we don’t exactly...know...how...”
Tasuki didn’t yell like he had before, but a cold expression grew on his face. He glowered and sat down roughly in the chair that’d been next to him, “Ya don’t really know much, do ya, Akai?”
Akai looked at the floor, a little shocked, “S...sorry.”
I felt a tinge of anger at Tasuki, being so harsh to Akai, but I kept my mouth shut. There wasn’t anything I could do. I let out a frustrated sigh, and turned my back to them, beginning to iron.
I suddenly heard Amiboshi start playing his flute. It was a calmish, peaceful tune. I glanced over at him, and his eyes smiled at me, and he shrugged a little. I smiled, knowing what he was doing, and knowing it was working. It was already beginning to make me feel a little better.
“Do ya ever quit playin’ that damn flute?!” Tasuki exclaimed angrily, and the flute music immediatly stopped. I looked at Amiboshi, who was looking at the flute he held in his lap with a sad, helpless expression. I felt my anger boil up. Okay, first my best friend, now my boyfriend. This bandit boy was going too far.
I turned around to Tasuki, a death glare on my face, “His flute music is ten times better to listen to than your bitching, so leave him alone!” I snapped furiously.
Tasuki narrowed his eyes at me furiously, then got up, muttering a name of what he thought of me before storming out of the room.
I sighed frustratedly again and cried, “I’m sorry, Akai, but he pisses me off!”
“Don’t be sorry,” she sighed softly, “it’s not your fault.”
I didn’t reply but began ironing again, then spoke up quietly, “Don’t let it get to you...what he says. He just angry, and probably scared, just too macho to admit it.”
“No, he’s right,” she sat down slowly and pulled her knees to her, “I messed up again.”
I put the iron down and turned around swiftly, “Akai! How could you mess up?! By not getting him home?? How the hell are we suppose to know that?! How can he expect that from us?! We don’t know any kind of magic! We’re not Taiis-kun or Chichiri!”
“Nishiko...” Amiboshi said in a warning kind of tone.
“No,” I went on angrily, “he has no right to treat you like that for something you cannot possibly help.”
“But I made a promise,” she said, not looking up, “I made a promise I couldn’t keep and now he hates me, and there’s nothing I can do about it.”
I looked at her sadly. She felt this was all her fault, I knew. I felt bad for her and mad at Tasuki, and mad at this whole situation. I sighed, “He just has to understand that we can’t do anything about it. But he doesn’t hate you, Akai. Do you want me to talk to him, or Amiboshi?”
“No, let him work off some steam. It won’t do you any good if he fries you.”
I snickered, “Fry a pacifest? How decietful!”
She smiled weakly and got up, “I’m gonna get something to eat. You want anything?”
I shook my head, “No thanks.” Amiboshi just shook his head.
As Akai left, I wandered over and sat down next to Amiboshi on the couch, “Please don’t ever act like Tasuki,” I begged, taking him hand.
He chuckled softly, “Tasuki’s not all that bad.”
I raised an eyebrow, “You’re not seeing him from a girl’s perspective,” then the irony of his statement struck me, “man, that’s pretty weird coming from a Seiryuu seishi.”
He nodded, “I’m actually very fond of the Suzaku seishi. They were very nice to me.”
I watching him sadly, “It didn’t seem like you wanted to kill them.”
He looked away, frowning, “I didn’t.”
“You two are so cute.”
We both looked up to see Akai had come back in the room and sat back down on the chair.
We blushed, when suddenly, Tasuki came back in the room. We were all silent, and he wandered over, sitting in the chair across from Akai. He didn’t say anything, but looked more calmed down. I simply scooted closer to Amiboshi, and he put his arm around my waist silently.
Finally, Akai stood up and walked over to Tasuki. She took a deep breath before saying, “Tasuki, I’m sorry. I made a promise I couldn’t keep...and I was wrong. I don’t know how to send you home, but I’ll try to find a way. I know I made a mistake, but..”
She trailed off and Amiboshi and I turned to Tasuki in unison, awaiting his reply.
I saw a faint smile on his face, and he shrugged indifferently, “I...I’m sorry too. I guess it isn’t yer fault, since ya don’t know magic and stuff...”
I smiled happily. Yes, Tasuki! You’re not being an idiot for once! I stood up, pulling Amiboshi up with me and smiled, “Well, Amiboshi and I should be heading back. My parents’ll be worried. Don’t stay up too late.”
I pulled Amiboshi with me to the front door and shouted a quick goodbye before shutting the door behind us.
Once we were outside, Amiboshi turned to me, “Why’d we leave so soon?”
I rolled my eyes, “Silly, you’re almost as dense as Tasuki.”
“Oh,” he seemed to get it, “about them being...together?”
“Yeah,” I sighed, “hopefully they’ll get it together soon.”
He took my hand and we began to walk, “Yeah.”
We got back to my house and climbed in through Jiyu’s window. Luckily, he was not there, and I went to go upstairs to check in with my parents. They were not too happy with me for being gone so much, and I apologized and said I’d be home more often. They gave me a skeptical look, then sent me off on my way. I headed downstairs, and was passing through the kitchen when a figure caught my eye. Amiboshi was sitting , his knees pulled up to him, under the long counter, and leaning against the part that went to the floor. He looked very sad and off in another world (whoa! what a paradox!). He glanced up at me as I stopped. I looked down at him, my tone full of sympathy, “Are you okay?”
He gently took my hand and pulled me down next to him, “I’m okay.”
I brought a hand up to brush the greenish hair from his eyes, “You sure?”
He looked away, taking my hand and squeezing it gently, “You’re parents...they...”
I suddenly remembered about his parents, how they’d been killed in the war. The poor guy. Sure, my parents weren’t every teenagers dream, but they were better than nothing.
I put my arms around him and snuggled closer, laying my head on his chest. He seemed surprised at this, but held me around my waist.
“I’m sorry,” I sighed sadly, “It must hurt a lot. I wish there were something I could--”
He cut me off, raising my chin slightly and pressing his lips to mine.
Suddenly, to my horror, we heard footsteps and my parents voices. We froze in mid-kiss, backed against the counter, our eyes wide. They were on the other side of the counter, so they couldn’t see us, and they were talking about my dad’s motorcycle club.
As they got ice cream and pop corn, we still had our lips pressed together, too afraid to move at all. They finally went upstairs, and we pulled away, sighing with relief.
“I think my heart just started again,” I sighed, putting a hand over my heart.
He nodded, “Maybe we’d better go down in your brother’s room...”
I stared at him and kidding scolded, “Amiboshi!”
He turned red, “No! Not like that! I meant maybe I should so your parents don’t see me, and I thought...”
I crossed my arms over my chest and smirked, “You thought what?”
He turned redder and buried his face in his hands, “I just keep making this worse and worse...”
“Yup.”
He looked up, “I meant that we could be together... not in that way....just enjoy each other’s company...” he winced at all the sexual inuendos, “I mean...”
I smiled, taking his hand, “It’s okay, I know what you mean. I want us to have some time together too.”
He smiled, and we catiously crawled out from behind the counter, then headed down to Jiyu’s room.
Once there, I sat down on Jiyu’s bed and smiled at him, then looked sighly away, “I can’t believe we’re...boyfriend and girlfriend.”
He sat down next to me and slipped his arm around my waist, almost nervously, “Yeah. I...I’ve never really been interested in girls, never really had time for them. I was always just taking care of Suboshi. And no girls have ever really been interesting in me.”
I chuckled softly, laying my head against his chest, and smiling softly, “It’s their loss,” I bit my lip and smiled a little wider, “and my gain.”
He chuckled softly, and I went on, “It’s true. You’re the most wonderful guy I’ve ever met in my life. You’re amazing. Talented, smart, sweet, handsome, sensitive..everything a girl could ever want in a guy. I’m so lucky to have you.”
He gently stroked my arm and layed his head atop of mine, “Thank you, Nishiko. But I should be the one saying that to you. Ever since I got here, you’ve been here for me. You were concerned for me, even when I was acting like an idiot. I’ve never had anyone care about me like that before...except maybe Suboshi,” his expression clouded momentarilt, but then he smiled, “maybe that’s why I fell in love with you. You’re compassionate to everyone around you.”
I trembled a bit, feeling utterly touched by his words. No one had ever said something like this to me before. At that moment, it struck me how unbelievably lucky I was. I was sitting here with the guy I was completely and utterly in love with, his arm’s around me, hearing him tell me he loved me too. The happiness was so great I felt tears well up in my eyes. He looked down at me, alarmed, “Nishiko?”
I wiped a quick tear, “I’m fine, it’s just...I’ve never been happier in my life. You’re all I dreamed about for months, thinking there was no possible way you exsisted because you were in a TV show. It’s a miracle that I get to meet you, but it’s so amazing to me that you love me back. I’m actually waiting for someone to wake me up, and I’ll realize this was all a dream, a wonderful dream. I don’t understand why I’m so lucky. I’m so grateful, but I’m just waiting for something bad to happen, the way life screws up everything good,” I slipped my arms around him, closing my eyes and letting a few light tears roll over my cheeks, “I...I’m afraid I’ll lose you! I don’t want to let go of you!”
He held me tighter, his whole body warm against mine, “Then don’t,” he said ina soft, comforting voice. I looked up into his eyes, and he smiled warmly before kissing my mouth tenderly. His gentle hand ran through my hair, and he deepened the kiss, slipping his tounge into my mouth. I was a bit surprised, because I didn’t think Amiboshi knew how to do this! But I french kissed him back, bringing my arms up around his neck. Slowly, he pulled away from the kiss to let his lips wander down my jawline to my neck. I took in my breath, surprised again. Amiboshi was certainly more experience than I’d thought he was. But I suddenly noticed his body trembling a little, especially his hands. He was nervous. I smiled, thinking of how unbelievably cute this was. I gently brought his face back up to mine and kissed his lips softly, trying to calm him. He seemed to relax a little, and this time I made the first move to deepen the kiss.
We were just getting into the kiss when the phone rang. We both jumped a mile and stared at the phone, our eyes huge. I organized my thoughts and shook my head, glaring frustratedly at the phone on Jiyu’s table. As Amiboshi chuckled, I realized I had a death grip on his shirt. He smiled at me, “Scare you?”
I composed myself, letting go of his shirt and smoothing it out, “No,” I replied mildly before reaching over and grabbing the reciever. “Hello?” I asked annoyedly.
“Nishiko?” came a trembling voice I recognized as Akai’s, “can you come over?”
I sensed something was seriously wrong. Her voice shook like she was close to crying and was quietly urgant.
Without asking anything, I answered, “Sure thing. I’ll be right over.” I hung up the phone. I turned to Amiboshi, “we have to go back over to Akai’s,” I explained quickly, “something happened.” I got up, pulling him with me and climbing out the window, my teeth gritted, and thinking, I’ll kill Tasuki!



********************


As we went into Akai’s house, I turned to Amiboshi, “Uh, why don’t you go downstairs with Tasuki or something. Please.”
He nodded, and headed downstairs. I turned and took a deep breath before going to Akai’s room an entering it. She was sitting on her bed, looking extremely confused. She looked up as I came in, and I wandered over and sat next to her.
“What happened?” I asked quietly.
She didn’t answer, but put a finger to her lips thoughtfully, then burst into tears.
“Akai!” I cried in alarm, drawing her into a close hug, “what’s the matter?”
“He...he kissed me!” she sobbed, “and then he said he’s made a mistake, and now I know he hates me!”
I narrowed my eyes. There were many, many names I could think of for Tasuki right now. But I didn’t say them to Akai. I said, “Excuse me,” letting go of her and getting up, “I’ll be right back. Will you be okay?”
She nodded, still crying, and I left the room. I went downstairs calmly and opened the door to the guest bedroom. Amiboshi and Tasuki were sitting on the bed talking, but suddenly got to their feet and fell silent as I entered. I must have been able to shoot lasers from my eyes with my glare, for they both looked pretty frightened.
“Amiboshi,” I said in a cool, soft voice, “can I talk to Tasuki alone for a moment?”
He nodded quickly and hurried out of the room past me. I slammed the door behind me coming in, and approached Tasuki, who was looking a little scared.
“You asshole!” I exploded furiously, shoving him against the wall. I might have been more surprised at my sudden strength if I hadn’t been so pissed, “you fuckin’ asshole! How could you?!”
Tasuki’s eyes were wide, and he started, “Nishiko, calm down!”
“I won’t!” I shouted, shoving him back against it, “you hurt Akai!”
He suddenly flipped me around, pinning me to the wall by my wrists, “Nishiko! Stop!” I tried kicking at him and pulling away, but he was too strong, “Nishiko!” he shouted, “think about why ya call yerself a pacifest! Beating me up won’t help Akai any!”
I stopped struggling, thinking about his words. Finally, I muttered, “Let me go.”
He obediantly did so and stepped back. I glared at him, “How could you do that to her? You know what she’s been through.”
He narrowed his eyes, looking away, “I don’t want to talk about it, with you of all people.”
My mouth fell open and I pointed upward, “Do you realize she’s up there sobbing right now? She loves you and you totally confused and hurt her!”
“I didn’t mean to...”
“You kissed her!” I exclaimed angrily, “you fuckin’ kissed her and then took it back!”
He sighed roughly, “Look, Nishiko, I don’t want to get involved with Akai.”
“Why the hell not?!” I yelled, “you’re obviously in love with her!”
He whirled around to me, his amber eyes blazing. “Because we have to go back!” he shouted, “or did you forget? You’re so stuck in your little love bubble, you completely forgot that we’re not staying here with you guys. We have lives and families. I want to go back, and whether you want to admit it or not, Amiboshi wants to go back too!”
His statement hit me like a blow to the stomach, and I narrowed my eyes at him. Without another thought, I brought my hand back and slapped him hard across the cheek. His cried out a little, and his hand went up to his cheek as he turned to glare at me.
“You’re cruel, Tasuki,” I said in a quiet voice filled with contempt.
He looked away, “I’m cruel? How about the fate of this?”
“Yes, that too.”
“I resent you slapping me.”
“You deserved it.”
His eyes flashed angrily, but he closed his eyes, trying to calm himself. With a soft smirk, he said cooly, “That’s right, Nishiko. Just keep avoiding reality. You know how this is going to end up.”
My anger boiled in me, “Yes, but you don’t have to remind me,” I said with thick vehemence, my teeth gritted. With that, I turned and stalked out of the room. Amiboshi was waiting at the door, but I pushed past him. He tried to catch my arm, calling out my name, but I kept walking. Tasuki’s words echoed in my head: Amiboshi wants to go back too! Of course he did, but somewhere along the lines, I’d ignored that fact due to my own selfishness. Now, it bore into me light a burning iron against my heart, and the pain with great.
Akai came out of her room as I came up the stairs, “What’s wrong?”
I looked away. I couldn’t tell her what Tasuki had said. It would upset her just as much as it had me, and she didn’t need that right now. “Nothing. I...” I suddenly felt like I was going to cry, “I’d just kinda like to be alone right now.” I gently went past her to her parents room and closed the door behind me.
I looked around before collapsing onto the bed in tears. I muffled my cries with a pillow, now soaked with my tears. This was the bad thing life would screw up for me. I couldn’t be together with Amiboshi because, somehow, he had to go back. Life wasn’t fair to anyone, but somehow, I felt I got the worst of it. I just wanted to sleep. Maybe when I wake up, everything will be better. I curled up a little and fell into a forced sleep.



********************



I woke up, feeling pressure on my lips. It took me a minute before I realized it was someone else’s lips. My eyes fluttered open to see Amiboshi’s face close to mine, his lips pressed against my own. He opened his eyes and sat up, realizing I was awake. I suddenly realized I was still in Akai’s parent’s bed. I sat up sharply to see Akai in the room also, watching us.
Amiboshi gently stroked my cheek, bringing my attention back to him. “Are you all right?” he asked softly, starind deeply at me.
Gazing at him, I remembered Tasuki’s words:Amiboshi wants to go back too! My face fell. I tried my best to act okay and just nodded.
Akai sighed and I looked up at her, “Akai, are you okay?”
She smiled weakly, “Yeah, I’m fine.”
“I’ll go talk to him. Maybe he’ll tell me what’s wrong,” Amiboshi said, getting up.
“No,” she said quickly, “don’t.”
Amiboshi looked a little startled, then sat back down slowly, “Why not?”
She looked at her hands, then looked up and smiled, “It’s all right. I’m giving up.”
My mouth fell open a bit, “G..giving up? Akai--”
Amiboshi stopped me and looked at Akai seriously, “I never thought it would be you to give up. I always thought you were stronger than that, Akai,” he looked her straight in the eyes, “I guess I was wrong.”
“You don’t understand,” she said, the smile dropping from her face, “I can’t do this anymore. I can’t stand it. You don’t understand. He’ll never love me back. If I can forget how I feel about him, then I won’t have to...”
She trailed off and Amiboshi stood up, walking over to her. He stopped, looking away from her, “I won’t talk to him, Akai. But I want you to think about why he kissed you. Guys don’t go around kissing girls for no reason. Especially girls like you.”
He didn’t look at her as he left the room.
“It was a mistake,” Akai broke into sobs, collapsing to the floor, “just a mistake,” she looked up at me, “please, you understand, don’t you?”
I gazed at her sympathetically, then got up and went to her. I dropped to my knees next to her, “Yes. I know how you feel. But I’m with Amiboshi on this one. You can’t give up, Akai. He loves you, I know he does.”
“No, I’m just a friend to him. That’s all I’m ever gonna be,” she looked at me, “don’t ever take what you and Amiboshi have for granted. You two are lucky to be together. Don’t forget that,” she sighed, “I envy you. I’d kill to have Tasuki look at me the way Ami-chan looks at you.”
I was a bit taken aback by her last two sentences, but ignored them and narrowed my eyes, feeling the inclination to slap her for her self-pity trip, “Akai, why’d you hafta be so damn stubborn?! He loves you, don’t you understand?! He wouldn’t have taken the kiss back if he didn’t love you so much!”
She furrowed her brow, “I miss your logic on this one.”
I rolled my eyes and lowered my voice, “He has to go back and he knows it. He knows that you don’t think about it. He thinks that if he gets together with you, it’ll hurt more for the both of you when he has to leave. And it will,” I looked away, and then back at her, “he doesn’t want you--or himself--to go through that.”
She seemed stuck and then asked, “What about you and Amiboshi?”
My eyes widened at this. Pain struck again. “I...he...” I looked away, closing my eyes painfully, “he has to go back too.”
“It’d be worth it anyway. I mean, how often do you get to be together with the guy of your dreams? You’ll never get an opportunity like this again.”
I gazed at her. Now, I felt she didn’t understand, as harsh as that was. I felt that when something like this happens to a person, it effects them for their whole life. Could I really give him back and live my life without him? It seemed habitual now to see his smiling face on the corner as I pulled up on my bike at the busstop. I could never just go on with life, not after this. An opportunity. More like a sweet trap to heartbreak. No, Akai didn’t understand at all.
But I just sighed, saying a little unemotionally, “And I’ll live each day to it’s fullest with him. Put it out of my mind so I can be happy with him,” I looked at her and smiled weakly, “you deserve to be happy too. Don’t worry, it’ll happen soon. Just give it some time.”
She snorted, “With me and Tasuki, it’ll take eternity. He’s dense and I’m stubborn,” she shook her head.
I laughed and got up, “Hang in there kid. I’m tired. I’m gonna go to bed.”
“You and Amiboshi can take this room,” she smiled, “and what’s with calling me ‘kid’? I’m older than you!”
I grinned, “Are you sure?”
“Last time I checked. Just because you’re having a majiuau marathon doesn’t make you older than me.”
I threw a pillow at her and walked out of the room. I came out in the hall to see Amiboshi sitting on the couch, his chin resting in his hands. He looked up as I came in and asked, “How is she?”
I sighed, “She’ll live. It’s that damn bandit we have to knock some sense into.”
He smiled and got up, “You ready to go to bed?”
I nodded, “Akai said we can take her parent’s room.”
He swallowed, “Together...?”
“Uh...” it never really occured to me that this might make Amiboshi incredibly nervous. The poor boy was so innocent. In the back of my head, a voice snorted, retorting quietly, not today in Jiyu’s room he wasn’t. I blushed, thinking of Prom night and today in Jiyu’s room. So Amiboshi wasn’t that innocent. Oh well.
“Uh, if you don’t want to, I can take the couch--” I started, but he smiled, brushing some hair away from my face and stroking my cheek as he stared into my eyes, “I’d love to.”
I smiled back, a little relieved, and stood a little bit taller to kiss him lightly on the lips. He kissed me tenderly back, almost hungrily, but I broke it off, taking his hand and leading him into Akai’s parent’s room. Akai must have already gone off to her room, for it was empty now.
I sat down on the bed and put a hand to my forehead, “I’m so tired.”
Amiboshi sat down next to me, snuggling up a little, “Me too.”
He slowly slipped an arm around my waist, and buried his face in my neck, kissing it softly. Oh, so we’re back to this again, I thought with a wry smile, not that I mind that much. I let him kiss my neck for awhile, then whispered without thinking, “Don’t leave me.”
He lifted his face to mine, “What do you mean?”
I looked at him and smiled, “Nothing. Don’t worry about it, let’s just go to bed.”
He looked at me worriedly, but we pulled ourselves up under the covers, our arms around each other. He bent his head and kissed my mouth, this time receiving a good response, unlike in the hall recently. I ran my han through his soft hair and rested my hand on his cheek. He was so perfect. I never wanted this night to end.
But he eventually let up on our making out, smiling at me, then sighing and laying back against the pillow. I cuddled up against him, resting my head on his firm chest. A long time seemed to pass, and I could hear his steady breathing, feel his chest rise and fall with every perfect breath, and I wondered if he was asleep.
“Amiboshi?” I murmured quietly.
“Mmmm?” he was falling asleep, or half asleep. I couldn’t tell.
“I love you,” I whispered, holding him tighter.
“Mmmmm.” Soon, I could hear his breathing heavier, and I knew he was asleep. I smiled, snuggling closer and falling asleep in his arms.



******************

1 All right, this deserves a footnote, although I’ve been using too many of them. <=.) You’ll notice in this fic Akai comes to the nick name “Ami-chan” for Amiboshi. Well, in Japan, the suffix “chan” is usually used on girls that are your friends and are younger than you. When used on a boy, it’s very degrading, and embarrassing. Inomi and I talked and she just can’t think of any other suffix to use (she reserves “kun” for Tasuki, although that would be correct, and not using a suffix at all usually means you’re sleeping with that person.) so she calls him Ami-chan, and he is younger than her. But we just laugh and can picture Amiboshi face falling and saying in a tired voice, “Do you have to call me ‘chan’?” It’s so kawaii!

ProlougeChapter OneChapter Two
Chapter ThreeChapter Four Chapter Five
Chapter SixChapter SevenChapter Eight
Chapter Nine Chapter Ten Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve